AAK DURACOAT AWARDS OF EXCELLENCE IN ARCHITECTURE 2020
The Architects Chapter of the Architectural Association of Kenya is pleased to announce the AAK Duracoat Awards of Excellence in Architecture 2020.
This award scheme is aimed at recognizing excellence in architecture for projects designed, built and completed in Kenya or within East Africa by members of the Architectural Association of Kenya.
- Eligibility: Entries shall be accepted from all registered Architects and Architectural firms who must be members of the Architectural Association of Kenya.
- Projects: Members can enter any project completed in Kenya or within Eastern Africa?) in the last 5 years. These shall include any completed building, interior, landscape or urban design project.
- Jury: A panel of local and international jurists selected to judge entries received for the awards in 2019 shall be;
- Professor Alfred Omenya
- Rahel Shawl
- Nerea Amoros
- Submission Categories: Awards shall be presented in the following categories:
- Best Residential Building Project
- Best Commercial Building Project
- Best Town Planning Project
- Best Hospitality Industry Project
- Best Cultural Building Project (Art Gallery, Museums, Religious Building)
- Best Health Centre/ Hospital Project
- Best Educational Institution Project
- Best Landscaping Project
- Best Building Restoration Project
- Best Low cost/Social Project (Residential, Healthcare, Educational) This may include projects in rural areas.
- Evaluation Criteria: The Jury shall consider all submissions and award projects on the basis of the following essential criteria:
- Design Innovation and creativity.
- Creative use of materials,
- Contextual appropriateness,
- Environmental Sustainability,
- Socio-Economic Impact.
- Submission Requirements: All entrants shall be required to submit a duly completed nomination form together with the project submission on a maximum of three (3No.) A1 sheets. The template for entries is available on the submission portal. The submission sheets must be clearly labelled with the name of the project and the submission category and must include the following information to be used for evaluation;
- Location plan or a Google Earth Image indicating the context of the building
- Site plan
- Floor Plans
- Images of the completed project (visualizations only shall not be accepted)
- A write up describing the project and its salient features
- Any other relevant details, sketches and images to support the evaluation criteria
- Submission Criteria: All entries shall be submitted using the online submission portal no later than 5pm E.A.T. on December 31st.
- Entry Fee: The entry fee per project for the award shall be 2,000/- which shall be non-refundable. This can be paid through MPESA – Paybill 988567 – Account Name Duracoat Awards.
- Awards Ceremony: The Awards Ceremony shall be held on 20th February 2020_ from 6:30pm to 10:00pm at the _Hotel Kempinsky in Nairobi
- Event Organiser: This Award scheme is an intitative of the Architects Chapter of the Architectural Association of Kenya in association with Basco Products Ltd.
- Communication: All communication regarding the Awards can be addressed to:
The Chapter Chairperson,
Blue Violets Plaza, Kindaruma Road,
6th Floor Wing B, Room 605
Tel: +254202420806 / 0721 691 337